"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Life isn't about finding yourself... Life is about... creating yourself. -- as texted to me by my Dad

I met the new executive producer for one of the shows that I was working on. It was his first day. He comes up to me and says, "Hi. You're Wanggo? Can I ask where's the script for the edit?" I then proceed to tell him that I have to watch/view the materials first before I can hand him the script.

"Isn't that, like, working backwards?" he asks.

"Yeah, it is. But because of people's schedules, we've been working this way."

"I see, I see. But how does the editor edit if he doesn't have the script."

"Well, we've been working at this for the past few months now. We've developed a system that works; so we don't lose out too much time."

"I see, I see. But we have to get the script first before we can edit."

"I know, that's why I have to view the materials now so I can make the script after and send it later when I'm done with it."

"I see. But we have to get the script first because we can't edit without it. You know I'm right, right? I am, di ba?"

"Yeah..." Insert angry stare here. "So can I view the materials first so I can start on the script?"

"Yes, yes, sure, of course."

He was talking down at me. He was so fucking condescending I could've killed him. But I let it slide. I understand that our system is a little backwards but we had to do with what was available. And we've worked for a while now that we've developed a sort of formula that worked out for us. I can understand that he would want to change the system; it's his job as the executive producer to do so, make the show better. But he also has to understand that we are only starting to do initial editing on a Monday for a show that is going to be aired on Wednesday. We are at a state of transition; he has to adapt as much as we do. Apply new systems when we aren't so pressed for time.

And the whole time, the son-of-a-bitch would reach out and hold my shoulder, squeeze my hand. I hate that. He's a fucking stranger. Strangers don't get touching privileges. Wait until we are a little closer before you get touchy, asshole! I don't know from what fucking seminar he got that from but it don't slide with me. Keep your hands off. It's a fucking tense situation as it is; don't make it worse by coming off as fresh or chummy at such an early point in the game.

I was so pissed. I handed my script and my resignation. I have no need for that sort of shitty kind of treatment. I don't need to be talked down to. I don't need condescencion. I've been working since I was 14 for God's sake! I know what I'm doing...

And on my way to GMA for work at the better side of the work force; I was smoking on my way to the MRT. Then I got shouted at by a policeman because the MRT is a no-smoking zone. I apologised. I told him that I thought it was only no-smoking from the turnstile onwards. I didn't know that the area outside, from escalator was no longer a smoking area. I could always smoke until the ticketing area. There were even ashtrays there before.

But no, this asshole of a policeman was shouting at me, making me look stupid and demanded my ID. I asked him, "is there anything wrong?" And he began to shout at me and started to tell me that this was a no smoking area. I said, "sorry, hindi ko po alam." (sorry, i really didn't know, sir) and then he said it has always been this way, since 2002. 2002? I've been smoking all the way up the escalator since 2003 and nobody stopped me. Nobody informed me it was wrong. And other people did so also. There were ash trays on top! I didn't know.

And he didn't have to treat me like an idiot. He was such an asshole. I wanted to punch his face in. He could've been nicer about it. After all, he's an officer of the law! Is that the way they are suppose to act? No wonder people hate them.

It's a vicious cycle. There are people who are immediately rude to them so they become tough and become rude themselves and then there are people who are treated rudely so they start treating policemen rude. It doesn't end and you don't know anymore where it starts.

But a policeman is a service-oriented job. And what's more? It's a government service job. They should learn a little bit more about customer service techniques in dealing with people. It would really, really help their rep.

You know how that story ended? The guy was berating me, asking for my ID, so I took out my GMA ID and showed it to him. He looked at it then he shut up. He looked at me. I looked at him.

"You work in GMA?" he asked...

"Yeah. I do."

"What do you do there?"

"I'm a segment producer."

He returned my ID and let me go. He was quiet the rest of the time as I slowly walked from where he was standing up the escalator. I was looking around. His reaction told me a lot. He was scared I'd report him.

Yeah, I'd report him. He's a fucking asshole.
Comments:
Your conversations with both ur "boss" and the cop sound like something I'd hear from Scrubs. I think Zach Braff would have portrayed you well. hehe. Hang in there wang :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?