"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Friday, January 21, 2005

It's all right letting yourself go as long as you can get yourself back. -- Mick Jagger

Wanted to go wall-climbing yesterday since the opportunity opened itself up for me but decided against pushing my body to the limits. Apparently, I am human. I am a modern everyday god trapped in human form and unfortunately, the human body has its limits.

How annoying.

Saw a beautiful movie yesterday. It was a Korean film called The Way Home and found it to be beautiful and touching. If you can, watch it. Definitely worth your time; if you like these slow, beautifully shot movies with a lot of heart (and very good acting!).

Looking for new venues for my writing. Youngstar magazine has closed down and I seem to have lost my avenue for writing in print. I thought about writing for Press again. I think it will be good for me, financially and the fact that I want to go back to writing about music. I also watched The Velvet Goldmine and realised how much I really adore rock music, the glam-rock period. The movie had a soundtrack that boasts songs written by Marc Bolan, Lou Reed, Nathan Larson and the like. Wow! Talk about powerhouse writing crew, huh? And then I think about David Bowie and think to myself, yeah, music is not merely an emotional medium but it is also deeply intellectual when done properly.

Sometimes I keep forgetting to try and understand what the lyrics of the song are referring to and just absorb the melody and the rhythm and the song. I sing along, sometimes, not realising that a song can be opposite of what I thought it was about. There are certain songs that are perky and bouncy but have deeply sad meaning behind it. Do not always be fooled by such things. There are a lot more deeper forces at work here.

Thinking about ways of edging up my life. Living a little more at the edge and a little more care-free. I don't want to use the word reckless but it doesn't seem like such a bad word. When the only standards you have to reach are your own, it's almost impossible to disappoint if you learn to be flexible. The only guideline is to never hurt anybody on the way; or at the very least, not to make it your intention.

So how does one become edgy and not fake it while doing it? Because the difference between a star and any Tom, Dick or Harry on the street is substance. It's not the form because everyone can act like a star but it won't make them one (there are always exceptions to the rules, of course). There is an attitude and a level of confidence that must be reached before one becomes a star.

I'm not wanting to become a star but, for sure, what's worse than some ordinary person pretending to be a star is someone trying hard to be edgy. Because edginess without success is plain pathetic.

Did I just make up a new word? Is there such a thing as edginess?

Maybe I should say, "Sharpness without the ability to cut is totally devoid of a point."

Was that a pun? Ha Ha Ha
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?