"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

If there were no waves, the moon could not break itself into a thousand pieces and dance. -- as texted to me by my Dad

I just watched Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 yesterday. Pretty powerful stuff. It was foolish of me to think that a documentary had to be objective. I never realised that you could write your documentary in a subjective manner. I thought it would take away the point of being a documentary; as in documenting rather than making a statement. But now I know better...

It just shocks me the amount of ignorance that happens in the minds of a large majority of people. People who are not aware that certain actions have their respective consequences.

I think of the lady (I cannot remember her name at the moment) in the documentary who wanted her children to join the army. She was so proud of him. And then when the news came that he had perished in the war, she was so struck with grief screaming in pain that she blamed God for taking him away from her. "What had he done?" she cried. He was one of the good guys. He was a good person.

Didn't she know that that is what soldiers do? They enter into the field of combat and kill. They engage their enemy and kill other people, other living human beings. And as much as they have the opportunity to kill, they too have the chance to be killed in return. There are no wars where people come back unscathed. Even the people who stay home and are far away from the war zone cannot be unaffected. In one way or another, we are all related to someone in that war. Or we are all affected.

I've never liked war. I've never liked guns. I was offered to fire a gun by my cousin in the province. He asked me if I wanted to go target shooting. I said "no." I have no love of guns. People buy them and they feel invincible. They feel like they are better than most people. They feel like they rule the world. It doesn't matter if they have no education, no world view, no substance. It doesn't matter if they have ever read a book or ever worked a day in their lives. That one piece of metal and sulfur can change their self-esteem. They think that everyone is afraid of them. They think they are tougher than everybody else.

I want everyone to throw the guns and have them all melted. All the bullets, all the guns in the world -- throw `em away. Burn it all. Use the metal to make ships or something. Build good homes for a cheap price. You want to kill someone, use your fists, be a man. Let's see. You start a fight, let's see the rest of the world around you stop you. If you're wrong, it will be you facing the angry fists of the rest of the world.

After all, you're only as tough as how many bullets you've got. After that, you're nothing more than a weakling hiding behind metal.

It's all so fake. It really pisses me off.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?