"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Monday, August 23, 2004

Our imagination isn't our escape from reality; imagination makes self-examination easier to bear. -- paraphrased from Six Degrees of Separation

I spent another 3 years in my friend's house. A beautiful Sunday passed us by as we stayed in and cooked for ourselves and talked and watched movies in all our waking moments. It was bliss, actually. My body felt rested and my mind and spirit felt alive and free. No pretensions, no stress, no drama, nothing of the sort. It was just comfortable and familiar. It was like being with family.

It was bliss.

I watched Six Degrees of Separation again and was absolutely driven mad with intellectual stimulation. What a powerful movie! I am so glad I got to see it again. I watched it before when I was 13 or 14 and I knew I was watching something powerful, gripping, intense but it all passed me by. I did not have the capacity nor life experience to truly grasp the meaning of the story and the beautiful dialogue.

Then I got to see it now, again, a decade and few later. Now that I have gone a little bit through life and dealt with people and made decisions for myself, I realised now what the play/movie really gets at. I felt every word pulsate through my body. Every gesture, every nuance, every intonation and accent had so much meaning for me. I am once again inspired, no, driven to make something of myself and to make something lasting, something of relevance and significance.

I was moved. Again. The movie almost stands as a sort of justification for why I do the things I do. I don't ever want to feel disconnected. I want to know people and be a part of their lives. I want to feel that intrusion and the thrill, the fear and the wonder that comes with it. And I want the flipside. I want people to know me and want to be a part of my life as well.

Another movie I saw, which I also truly love, About a Boy has once again touched me and sent me to tears. I have always been a sucker for movies about coming into yourself, realizing your worth and growth, personal growth. What a beautiful movie and Hugh Grant was absolutely fantastic in that movie. No man is an island, they said and it was quickly refuted with Hugh Grant's Will saying everyman is an island and then we come to learn that we build connections to these other islands - by bridges or by making travel routes. We can live on our own but it is always better to share it with others.

I grew so much during that Sunday, watching movies I haven't seen in a long while and seeing them in a new light, gleaning new messages, processing them with my new experiences.

Louisa Kitridge, from Six Degrees of Separation touched the hand of God. It was truly a beautiful Sunday...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?