"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Politics is Hollywood for ugly people... --  as texted to me by my Dad

I really love my Dad...   I know it isn't true, there are some good-looking politicians out there; but some.  Very little, actually...  He He He

I'm really getting sick of myself.  I'm done with whining and complaining and throwing sadness around.  I'm getting myself down.  I don't want to be the blueman (I don't think blue is really my colour) so I'm trying out happiness for a change.  It's tough, it ain't easy but one thing's for sure: anything is better than being depressed.

Sometimes I'll falter.  Sometimes I'll waver.  Maybe, sometimes, I'll think of that person who makes me spin.  Maybe, sometimes, I'll drown in the sorrows of longing and yearning...  But then, don't we all sometimes?  Don't we have to sometimes?

Kris asked me (Hi Kris) what I thought of an article he read that said writers have the loneliest profession.  What do I think?

I think being a toll operator in the South Super Highway is pretty lonely.  I think being a night guard in a condo or some school is a lonely job.  The editor of my show gets pretty lonely sometimes when he is at the editing studio from 1 am to 5 am working on the segments and features.  When I'm done, I go home so he works alone.  And I'm sure it gets pretty lonely. 

I don't think writers have a monopoly on loneliness.  After all, they don't work all the time, they go out and have fun.  I don't hold regular hours.  I work 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes only 1 or 2 hours per session...  Often times, I am reading at home, listening to music or watching a movie.  I hang out with friends whenever I can.  I sometimes feel lonely, but not because I'm a writer...  Because I do, sometimes.

Writers may feel lonely because "no one understands them" but that's bullshit.  The act of writing is showing that you understand other people.  The fact that they read and love certain books and poems shows that somebody out there understands them.  Loneliness is relative.  But in the end, I don't think writing makes you lonely.  I don't think writing cuts you off from the rest of society.  If anything, writing connects you more fully.  When someone has read your work, someone you don't even know, the elation felt is amazing.  How can you feel lonely? 

I've had people write reviews of my work on their blogs, people have talked about things I've written.  People I don't even know.  What right do I have to be lonely?

What right does anyone have to be lonely?  8 billion people in the world, who has a right to be lonely?  If you feel lonely, go and say "hi" to someone.  Eventually, someone is bound to say "hi" back...

But that's just my opinion...
Comments:
I respect your opinion on writers not being lonely, however I felt that your comment "If you feel lonely, go and say "hi" to someone." makes loneliness too simplistic. Sad people don't kill themselves just because someone did not say "hi" in return. Sometimes, there's a certain loneliness only 1 person can fill... and I'm not even talking about God (for those who believe).

Then again, maybe that's just MY opinion :)
 
'nuff said.
~ krisps.
hello back at you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?