"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Humility and inner peace go hand in hand. The less compelled we are to prove ourselves to others, the easier it is to feel peaceful inside. -- as texted to me by my Dad

Just saw Spiderman 2. Lovely film, really. Great action and lots of nice touching moments. I think I know why Spiderman truly affects many people and it has become such a popular and well-loved movie.

It is because we all feel like Spiderman.

Sure, Spiderman has all these great powers. Sure, Spiderman is charming, funny, tough and for many even, attractive. But, unlike The Amazing X-Men or Superman, Spiderman is not all-powerful. Behind the mask lies a young boy desperately trying to survive the horrible world that comes to consume and destroy all its heroes. Instead of protecting them, nurturing them and being grateful for all the help that they've given us, this world has a tendency to put our heroes down, ask for the rent, demand too much of their time and expect them to pay bills and live a regular life as well.

Deep down inside, we all feel like Spiderman: like we have some special power or gift that we can share or are already sharing. Like Spiderman, we get a lot of bad press and though there are some who appreciate us for what we do, we still don't feel we get the full credit of that which we accomplish (maybe).

So unlike Superman who is successful both as a hero and as a human being; unlike the X-Men who has a rich benefactor to take care of their regular needs; all they seem to need to focus on is their super-hero lives -- it is Spiderman who we most relate to, because just like him, we have to be the heroes in our fantasies and in our dreams and the regular joe, the human being in our everyday lives.

If you think happiness is all about sunshine... nobody has told you about dancing in the rain... -- as texted to me by my Dad

Yeah, I do feel special. Sometimes, I feel like I'm the most important person in the world. But how else should I feel when all this time, all I know is what I feel and how I think? I can only focus on my thoughts and as much as I ask others for their opinion, for their time, for... whatever... they will always be in comparison with my views, filtered by my experiences. We are all the main character of our stories (even if we don't feel that way sometimes, as I often do) and this is where our feeling special lies.

And so what if it is just some perspective, just some point of view? We are all special inside and we have to believe in it to be so. You are only as special as you believe you are. And the moment you believe it to be true, then spread it out and begin to act.

Nobody can deny the strength and truth of action whereas words are always on target for scrutiny.

Yeah, well, that's my Spiderman analysis. Why does everybody like Spiderman? Because, in essence, he is us. Just your ordinary person with extraordinary gifts; which can be said for everybody if you just really get to know people.

So did I like the movie? Yes, yes I did. Because I know that I'm not the only one who is giving up my dreams and hopes to share my gifts with the world. As Aunt May said in the movie, "I believe there is a hero inside all of us..."

Yes, even me. Even you.
Comments:
here's my take: when you figure out how and why you fit into this world, when you're attuned to your own specialness, it radiates and people around you take notice of it. we work with what we know, so how you feel and what you think are just as important as anything else. comparisons and benchmarks should only serve as our guides; they should never dominate how we should act (and react). remember what happened to the guy who tried to please everyone? well i don't either; and maybe that's the point. listen to your own. all in my humble opinion. :^)
 
Superman had it difficult too. Despite all of his powers, he's reduced to being this dorky news reporter, as Bill (in Kill Bill Vol 2) points out, Clark Kent is the insult to humanity. It's difficult to have talent no one appreciates especially when they don't share that which makes one unique.
 
hey wanggo! met you at the along came polly premier. :) just found your blog through links! have a great weekend. :)
 
given that there is indeed a spiderman in all of us, the more acceptable truth is that most of us are yet to be bitten by spiders or whatever painful thing we need to feel our importance, our power.

it is easy to justify that indeed, "there is a hero in all of us". but would it follow that after i have uttered those famous words, i will find my superhero suit, once hidden, enveloping my mortal, vulnerable skin?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?