"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Friday, July 30, 2004

And the music keeps going on and it makes my life complete...  I'm flying away...  -- Flying Away, performed by Moony

A loneliness that only one person can fulfill?  Really now, if we sat down and actually think about it, is this a fact?  A truth?  I think it is merely not having something that you want badly.  It is a yearning, a longing.

But, in my opinion, I've always believed in the cliche that anything we need in this world, we can find it within ourselves.  That in truth, we really do not need people...  It may sound cold and cruel, but truly, we can merely interact with people to get the basic needs that we require to sustain life but to actually need to socialize?  to actually need to be with someone?  I don't think so.  We constantly crave and yearn for that someone, yet we continue going through life, working, paying bills and watching movies.  We still listen to music, eat, sleep and crap.  We don't need people.  We have ourselves and that is enough.

But yes, when we have someone, that is one of the greatest feelings in the world.  In fact, it is the arguably the best feeling in the world.  But the joy, the elation of being in a relationship is actually gained from the affirmation that we are someone worthy of love.  That we are deserving of love.  And the truth is, so many people in this world loves us.  But the person we love is the standard in which the truth [we are worthy of love] becomes reality within our minds.  That is why if our love is not reciprocated, we feel sad, depressed and lonely

Everything is really simple.  Yes, go out and say "hi" to someone and if the first meeting is enough to kindle a spark of any kind; you can spend the rest of 3 weeks just trying to figure out what makes he/she tick.  And it does not even have to lead to sex, to partnership, to love; a new friend can be just as engaging.  After a while, you learn so much new things about others and about yourself.  It is a powerful sense of affirmation: I'm interesting enough to get to know.  But of course, it is the mirror effect: we only feel that way because we find the other person interesting.

The truth is, we are really trying to justify our existence in this world: through love and friendship; through relationships.  Man is truly a social creature.  Because if he weren't, he'd be just like any other animal.

So to be solitary, to seek solitude amongst all others is a good thing: get to know thyself well and fully.  But once you know yourself, then go out and share it.  Affirm it and validate it if you must but by all means, go out there and connect.  Because there is so much to know, so much to learn and so much growing waiting to happen.

Right now, I want to whine.  I want to groan.  I want to sigh.  I want to share my anger with myself for not having the strength, the confidence to share myself.  So, of course, I feel un-affirmed; invalid.  If I had only said "hello." 

But I won't go there.  I refuse.  I want to be happiness and sunshine...

I'm flying away...

 
Comments:
I guess you're right in saying it is only the lack of reciprocity or affirmation of our existence that makes us feel bereft :) The thing is though, sometimes I feel that however brilliant your friends are and however supportive your parents and loved ones can be, that yearning or longing can still take hold of you that it can overwhelm your contentedness and pretty much destroy the general "good mood" you're in. Like a drug, when you reach a certain connection with someone, it's like, inevitable not to compare all the rest that follow. Hence we come to a loneliness that only 1 person can fill. Do you get me?
 
We do get you. And all we can say to that is: blecccccccccchhhhhh!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?