"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Thursday, January 29, 2004

It has been awhile... well, I guess not really. But only one thing has been occupying my time and thoughts these days and I don't want to get into specifics. I want this to be just mine and mine alone. For the first time, I want to be selfish. This is the first secret I want to keep for myself.

In this regard, I wanted to put a poem that I wrote 2 to 3 years ago... Quite a long time ago, really. It's funny but the person I wrote it for, dedicated it to, no longer matters in my life. I haven't even seen that person in years... Much less has that person been in my mind for quite some time. Are we allowed to change the dedications of things we have written? When you wrote something for a particular person and that person no longer strikes you the same way, can you just switch the names and dedicate it to someone else?

Maybe it loses its magick, its power. The words are still powerful, they still mean something great and deep and meaningful. But because it was not origianally written for the new person it may seem weaker than originally meant. But whatever. "Testimony" is written for someone new. And if it isn't enough, I'll write something else. After all, I've never been more inspired to write for anyone than I do now...

Testimony

You are the burn, I am the swell
the blister, the feel of pain

You are the waking moment, I am
the counting of sheep, the drowse

You are the total bliss, I am
the crash, the fall and the fear

You are the handwritten moment
I am the printed page

You are the dog star’s waking,
I am the dog star’s howl to the moon

You are the letter’s rush, the stamp, the seal
I am the postman’s baggage and journey

You are the falling rain, I am the rise
of vapor, boiling rivers, boiling streams

You are the undertow, I am
the ocean depths

You are the character; the point-of-view
I am the plot – the rise and the fall

You are heliotrope
I am osmosis

You are the hushed whisper
I am echo

You are the wooden bridge
I am the river far below

You are the poem
And I am everything else


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?