"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Thursday, January 15, 2004

The Hermit stands isolated on a snowy mountain peak, holding up a lantern to guide those below. This is the light Lamp of Truth, containing thin it the six-pointed star, the Seal of Solomon. The hermit carries a patriarch's staff to use on the narrow path of initiation. His cloak is the mantle of discretion, and in some decks he partly covers the lantern with it as if to protect Truth from profane eyes.
He is ready to go to the help of every man who cries for Light. He remains on the heights throughout the long nights of spiritual darkness. Only those who dare, do, and keep silent can see the light of the Hermit's lamp. "Be humble, if thou wouldst Wisdom; be humbler still when Wisdom thou hast mastered!" (from The Voice of Silence)
-- A Complete Guide to the Tarot by Eden Gray

I watched Return of the King again yesterday. It really is a gorgeous, wonderful film. What an honour, for all those actors to have been a part of that. They may forever basked in the shadows of obscurity, but will forever be remembered for the roles and the parts that they have played in that film. I believe, most notably, will Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Bernard Hill (Theoden) and Miranda Otto (Eowen). And on this third film, Sean Astin (Sam) and Elijah Wood (Frodo) will also be remembered for such stellar, grand performances.

Every moment that Gandalf smiles, I feel comforted and at ease. Everytime Theoden makes a speech, I sit up on the theatres and pay attention. After all, he is a great king of man. And the strength and courage of Eowen, I felt from the tips of my hair until the ends of my toes. What a beautiful woman! What an amazing actress!

It is moments like these when I wish I had more strength, courage and will to stand up and try and be it an actor. It would be great to just fall deeper and deeper into a part during shooting. To discover what it is like to have to change your movements: the way you walk, stand, smile. To talk with a different inflection and accent. To react to things differently. To be someone else, entirely.

I'm thinking of doing that. Changing me. Something has got to give. I've been saying that for the past 2 years and nothing has. They call it your "comfort zones" because that is exactly what it is, a place of comfort and the way I have been living my life has been comfortable. Everything is expected and it is so easy to predict the outcomes of any situation because I have done it before and I will be doing it again. It is so easy to fall into the trap of habit that you don't realise that you have stopped growing. You have stopped getting better, you have stopped improving on yourself. You're just going around in circles, like a wolf trying to bite its own tail.

There is nothing great about getting dizzy chasing after something you already have.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?