"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Damn! I was flying so fast, I didn't notice that Star System 14.321 in the Vega system had already white dwarfed (if there is such a term). Missed out on it. I guess I was just too excited to see one that I didn't notice that it didn't go through on the scheduled date. Oh well... Such is life on a long journey through space.

I'm currently reading Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes, his collection of short stories. I've already read his Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and though that was fascinating and intriguing, it was just a little too strange for me. I've always been fascinated with Asian culture and art, especially with their literature and their film because I always felt they took as much time as they needed to take. If they wanted to go slowly, they would. If they needed to hurry, that's exactly what they would do. There was no formula to it. It was just the art (or the story) taking place on its natural speed.

I've read three stories in the collection and they were all quite intriguing. I find them better written than the novel. He really is a very interesting read. I'm currently going to go through this as rest from the Greek themed books that I read before I go off into Cold Mountain. It's supposed to be a great book and I would love to read it before the movie comes out. There's always a certain sense of pride in being able to say that you've read the book before the movie is released into view. Call it an intellectual superiority complex. Call it whatever you want. I just prefer it.

I'm currently enjoying Mandy Moore's latest album Coverage. I have always been a great big fan of many of the artists she has covered - Joan Armatrading, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens and Carly Simon. Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters has always been a great, great song and though I don't think she has done a great remake of the songs, she has done a wonderful cover version. She doesn't turn the song into hers. I mean, her version of Joni Mitchell's Help Me sounds pretty much the same, different instruments and all, but it is still a beautiful song and its great to hear her sing it. I don't know. I like Mandy Moore. I think she is a very wonderful artist and I'm just happy of many of the songs that are there. If anything, I can't stop listening to her version of Drop the Pilot and I've never heard of The Whole of the Moon before this album and I think it is just a gorgeous song!

It's strange, I'm in an internet cafe again and I'm writing this entry here. There's always something so strange being in a public place using public access to write something so personal. It's not as if this is private since it's up in the net for everyone to read, but the idea that it is being written in a space that is so public is unnerving. Actually, it is something quite exhilirating. I feel like a spy writing something that is forbidden. I want to finish this up as quickly as possible so that nobody can look over my shoulder to see what I'm doing. There's this little cat and mouse game being played in my head. I can't help but smile.

Well... I'll just keep circling around. Maybe I'll catch that star turning into itself and becoming what? A blackhole? A white dwarf. Maybe I'll see a supernova and just be so captivated by its beauty, I'll tell my 'baby' to hold on for a few minutes. I'd like to be engulfed.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?