"I think it's gonna be a long, long time, `till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home... I'm a rocketman, burning out his fuel out here alone..." Rocketman by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

The Rocketman has just landed on C-32 in the Vega system!

I am in unfamiliar territory as of this moment... I can't believe I am surfing and typing this up in an Internet Cafe. This is just too weird for me. I've been using my parent's computer at home forever, almost. When I was working in La Salle (as an administrator or even as a teacher) or when I was working in advertising - I got so used to having my own computer at my beck and call. And with my Mom's printer going wacko on me, I have to go to a place like this to print out some stuff I need for work.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Internet Cafes, but for someone who is quite using to having his own computer in the comforts of home, and all of a sudden, I'm here, surrounded by other people who need internet access, I find myself thrusted into totally new territory. Being in new territory is always fun but it also releases some of my natural instincts for self-preservation. And right now, it is going overload.

I took it for granted, everytime I log into my yahoo messenger or my yahoo mail that my password is really a private thing and just for me only. Now, I find myself anxious to log off immediately and remove all traces that I was here in fear of someone being able to figure out my password. I won't be overly dramatic to say that my whole life is in my e-mail account or even my friendster account - but I can imagine the amount of chaos that will ensue if some malicious, vile person enters either accounts and begins having "fun."

I'll admit this much: I'm a very curious person. I like to know things. So yes, I engage in gossip and am quite happy and interested to hear them. But I don't spread it around. I don't engage in gossip to help spread rumours, I do so because I just want to be "in the know." I like being informed and I like hearing stories. I'm sorry, but I am totally immersed in stories. Sometimes, I think I go through life just to collect stories to tell in the eventuality - subjects for my future work. Don't be paranoid, though, all the names and dates will be changed to protect the innocent and even the not so innocent... =)

Information is important which is why I really value education. Which is why I also believe that teaching is a wonderful profession by far. I miss it. The transfer of information. I learned so much about Literature from teaching it. I really think very differently for someone of my age and generation. Hearing other people's opinions help me formulate better responses and reactions towards certain poems and stories. I had a great class last January-April (3rd term, year 2002-2003) in Philippine Literature. They were a Commerce block but they were so intelligent, opinionated and eager. I learned so much about the stuff I was reading and sharing with them. Amazing experience, really...

But here I am now, in Planet C-32 and it's quite intriguing. There is an almost communal feel to the whole situation... We are all here for almost the same purpose. Connection. It's probably one of the most important things in my life. I guess that is why it is so important for me to express myself and to get a job or work in a place that allows me to express myself - be it through writing, acting, hosting or whatever. As long as it involves the media. Eventually, if it is good, everyone will have a chance to hear what I say or what I have to say (if I wrote it). My expression is transmitted everywhere.

Which is why I like this whole idea of internet journals... It's a way for me to express myself openly. Of course, I'll never know if this is being read or not... I can only hope and pray.

So that is the Rocketman's confession here in this strange planet...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?